Becoming an Informed Advocate for Your Own Healthcare
OLLI at UNCA Fabulous Friday Presentation
On November 1, 2019, Karen Sanders, MSN, RN, AHN-BC, HWNC- BC, RN Patient Advocate, presented “Becoming an Informed Consumer Advocate for your Own Healthcare,” at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), at the University of North Carolina, Asheville, NC, to an audience of 60+ participants.
Healthcare Topic Presentation included:
- Key Aspects of Healthcare Setting
- Role of Patient Advocacy
- Review of the 53 Golden Eggs of Wisdom to Assist You In Becoming an Advocate for Your Own Healthcare
- Medical Errors are the Third-Leading Cause of Death in the US
- Differences Between Western Medicine (Allopathic), Holistic or Integrative Medicine, and Functional Medicine
- How Much Does it Cost to go to the ER? Urgent Care Center?
- What if you think your hospital or physician’s office bill is incorrect?
- Advocating for Yourself as a Patient
- How to Access Your Medical Records from different Healthcare Facilities
- Become a Healthcare Expert on Yourself
- Chronological Medical Record for Self or Family Member at Home
- Portable Medication List Components
- Advocating for Self When Hospitalized or Attending MD Appointments
- Important Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Many more topics
Please contact Karen Sanders if you would like to schedule a presentation.